Page images

of May and June, is now engaged in the preparation of plans for carrying on the work. It remains to be determimed whether this office is to have any further part or responsibility in the execution of the proposed work, this question being now pending in the War Department on my recommendation that the entire charge and responsibility are more properly vested in the office of the United States Commissioner of Fish and Fisheries. In the mean time I have been directed to pay the expenses of the recent surveys, and bills to the amount of $135.50 have been rendered on account of work done to June 30, 1888.

The original appropriation for the work was $50,000, of which there had been expended prior to June 30, 1888, the sum of $44,365.18, leav$5,634.82 as the balance then available.

The money statement for the year ending June 30, 1888, is as follows: July 1, 1888, amount available

$5, 634.82 Amount appropriated by act of February 1, 1868....


[blocks in formation]

July 1, 1888, amount expended during the fiscal year....
July 1, 1888, outstanding liabilities for surveys in May and

June, 1888..


435, 50

30, 199.32

July 1, 1888, balance available

No estimate for further appropriation submitted.






1. Improvement and care of Public Build- | 2. Underground wires for telegraph and

ings and Grounds in the District of telephone service to connect the sey. Columbia.

eral Departments and Bureaus of the

Government in Washington City. 3. Washington Monument.

Z Z 1.




Washington, D. C., July 3, ísss. GENERAL: I have the honor to submit the following report of operations upon public buildings and grounds under the Chief of Engineers, carried on under this office during the fiscal year ending June 30, 1888.

In addition to these duties I have been in charge of the construction of the building for the Army Medical Museum and Library; the erection of a monument at Washington's headquarters, Newburgh, N. Y.; the erection of a monument to mark the birthplace of Washington; the improvements over the grave of Thomas Jefferson, at Monticello, Va., and since April 4, 1888, of the construction of the Wasbington Monu. ment.

In accordance with the resolution of March 26, 1858, of the United States Senate, I prepared and submitted on April 9, 1888, a report presenting a comprehensive system of underground wires for telegraplı and telephone service, to connect the several Departments and bureaus of the Government in Washington City.

GROUNDS SOUTH OF THE EXECUTIVE MANSION. These grounds include those within the iron fence south of the White House, the road between the White House grounds and the Treasury Department, and the entire reservation between Fifteenth and Seven

ENG 88—174

teenth streets, south of the White House, the Treasury, and the State, War, and Navy Building, and north of B street.

Extensive repairs were made to the main road around the ellipse, about 600 cart-loads of gravel being used for this purpose.

The road between the Executive Mansion and the Treasury was also repaired and put in order.

A crosswalk 9 feet wide and 83 feet long, consisting of three rows of blue flagging with cobble-stone between them, was laid between the southeast gate of the Executive Mansion grounds and the sidewalk of the Treasury Department.

All gutters and drain traps were cleaned and repaired where necessary, trees and shrubs pruned, lawns mown and seeded down, and the reservation maintained in excellent condition during the season.

Early in the fall a temporary double plank foot-walk was laid between the east and west gates in the south grounds of the Executive Mansion for the convenience of foot passengers. This walk was removed in May, 1888.

During the summer months all the road ways were sprinkled daily except Sunday in order to keep down the dust.

Within the iron fence the grounds were maintained in their usual beauty; roads and paths were kept in excellent condition, lawns mown and rolled, flower beds planted, and a number of new trees and shrubs set out.

The main sewer near the south fountain having been damaged dur. ing a storm, was thoroughly repaired and the manhole rebuilt.

The fountain was repaired and cleaned out. Sixteen cart-loads of mud, the sedimentary deposit of two years, were removed from the fountain basin.

On May 1, 1888, the northwestern portion of the reservation, which for a number of years had been used as storage grounds while the construction of the State, War, and Navy Building was in progress, was transferred to the care of this department.

Work was at once commenced improving this section, so that it would correspond with the remainder of the park. Four old wooden buildings were taken down and the materials taken to the Nursery grounds for future use; about 208 loads of stone, 123 loads of old lum. ber, 172 loads of brick, 6 loads of old tiles, 11 loads of old iron, 100 old boxes, and a large amount of other old materials were hauled from the grounds to the property yard, where they will be made useful in future work upon the public grounds.

The entire grounds, except a small area in the southwest section, was graded, old rubbish removed, old foundations taken out, and about 3,000 cart-loads of earth and 700 cubic yards of soil purchased and used for grading and top dressing. The line of the main road was laid out preparatory to its construction after July 1.

A large amount of work was done in this section of the park. It is intended during the present season to remove the old wooden stables from the south west corner of this portion of the reservation and to complete the improvement of this part of the park, except the necessary planting


The operations in progress around the monument, grading and filling, have prevented the accomplishment of work of any character on the principal lawns.

The main road leading from B street to the Nursery grounds was repaired and rolled, about 700 cart-loads of gravel being used for this purpose.

A new walk was constructed on the west and south sides of the main road to the Nursery grounds. This walk is 5 feet wide and about 2,100 feet long; it was well bottomed with broken stone, covered with gravel, and rolled. About 150 cubic yards of broken stone and 250 cubic yards of gravel were used in its construction.

The lawn-surface between the nursery fence and the edge of this gravel-walk was graded, top-dressed with soil, and seeded down; it was well covered with grass in the spring of 1888.

The work in connection with the monument was transferred early in April, 1888, to the officer in charge of public buildings and grounds; it is understood that the Monument Commission, under the direction of which operations have been carried on for the past ten years, has recommended that in future the work shall be in charge of the War Depart ment and all appropriations expended under the direction of the Secretary of War. Should Congress approve this recommendation it is probable that operations will hereafter be carried on under this office.

At the close of the fiscal year the main road and foot.path were in good condition, but owing to the grading and filling around the monument and the construction of the new marble lodge-house, about 480 feet east of the monument, it has been impossible to maintain the lawns in good order.

Extensive repairs were made to the greenhouses.

The superstructure of house No. 6 was entirely rebuilt and repainted; in house No. 5, 65 feet of new wall-plate was inserted and thirty new posts erected to support the roof; houses Nos. 3, 5, 7, 10, and 11 were reglazed; 850 feet of new staging 3 feet wide, and 200 feet 4 feet wide, were erected and 340 feet of old staging repaired; about 2,000 feet of new shelving was put up for the young plants propagated for the parks.

Four new water tanks were constructed for the greenhouses and 800 linear feet of tin and copper guttering repaired.

The boilers of houses No. 6, 7, 8, and 9 were repaired. All furnaces and flues were cleaned and repaired where necessary, and 120 feet of 4-inch hot water pipe placed in house No. 8.

In the propagating house the walk was lowered, a brick wall 97 feet long by 4 feet high built on each side, an entrance 6 feet square and 41 feet deep excavated and a doorcut through on the north side. A new cold frame pit, 200 feet long by 03 feet wide and 1.} feet deep was con. structed.

Numerous minor repairs were made to all the greenhouses.

About 5,200 plants were placed under glass in the greenhouses for win. ter bloom, consisting of carnations, roses, bouvardias, sweet alyssum, begonias, mignonette, heliotrope, pansies, abutilons, geraniums, and smilax; about 1,500 pansies and violets were planted in cold frames; there were also potted and boxed for winter bloom 5,000 lilies of the valley, 6,000 byacinths, 2,000 tulips, 2,000 freesia, 1,500 liliums, 1,000 narcissus, and 200 clumps of Astilbe Japonica.

During the winter and spring months the propagation of bedding plants for the parks was continued and about 350,000 ornamental foliage and flowering plants of about forty varieties were grown, nearly all of which were set out in the parks during the months of May and June, 1858.

A large number of palms, crotons, and subtropical plants were cared for in the greenhouses during the winter and used in park decorations during the summer.

« PreviousContinue »