« PreviousContinue »
Expenditure for which no provision was made.
REPORT OF THE COMPTROLLER AND AUDITOR GENERAL.
1. EXPENDITURE in excess of the Estimate has taken place under Sub-Heads D, E and H.
2. A Statement of Expenditure under Sub-Head D, "New Works, &c.," is appended to the Account. Treasury authority has been obtained, where necessary, to cover charges for which no provision had been made.
3. Expenditure has been incurred on the following works for which no provision was made in the Estimates:
Windsor Castle-Alterations in Windows of certain State)
The cost of these works has been partly met by the under-expenditure on
4. In the course of my examination it was noticed that, whereas the supplies of Cabinet Ironmongery are obtained under competitive tender, the supplies of Furnishing Ironmongery, which exceed the former considerably in total value, are obtained from one retail firm in London and are not made the subject of public tender.
In answer to inquiries on the subject, I was informed that the rates charged are governed by a schedule of prices which is revised periodically, the rates being subjected to a very critical examination and comparison with those of other reliable firms, and further, that so soon as the difficulty of obtaining the necessary storage accommodation can be overcome, the Board will be in a position to invite tenders from manufacturers for general supplies.
5. The Amount to be Surrendered is, as shown by the Account, 2041. 38. 11d.