« PreviousContinue »
VOTE 34.- DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURE AND TECHNICAL INSTRUCTION, IRELAND—continued.
STATEMENT of Securities held by the Department of Agriculture and Technical Instruction for Ireland on the 31st March 1906.
STATEMENT of Loan Securities and Amounts due to the Department under Agreements on 31st March 1906.
NATURE OF LOANS.
For the Purchase of Bulls
Loans written off as irrecoverable in 1905-6
For Industrial Development
Drogheda Fruit, Ltd.
Ballina Co-operative Boot and Shoe Co., Ltd.
Local Loans Stock
do. (Steamer Reserve Fund)
(a) A loan of 1,0001. was made to an association of fruit growers and merchants in the district surrounding Drogheda for the purpose of establishing a jam factory, and thus providing profitable means of disposing of fruit grown in the locality. The company failed after three seasons' working, as they were unable to carry on the manufacture of pure jam in competition with manufacturers who used glucose and other substances of that kind. 1001. had been repaid.' The liquidator found it impossible to realise any portion of the balance of the loan, and it was written off with the concurrence of the Agricultural Board,
(b) This loan was made to a co-operative society, working in conjunction with the Ballina Urban District Council, for the purpose of providing equipment and machinery for a school of boot-making, under the scheme of Technical Instruction for the Urban District of Ballina. The undertaking had not been successful, and the society had to cease working. As the guarantors had lost large sums in the project, the Department did not consider it equitable, in the special circumstances of the case, to enforce the repayment of the loan, and it was remitted with the sanction of the Board of Technical Instruction.
VOTE 34.—DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURE AND OTHER INDUSTRIES, AND TECHNICAL INSTRUCTION FOR IRELAND. continued.
in the year ended 31st March 1906.
GENERAL CATTLE DISEASES FUND (IRELAND) (57 and 58 Vict.,
Cap. 57, s. 71 (1).)
7,513 3 5
1,123 7 9
6,453 1 11
CATTLE PLEURO-PNEUMONIA ACCOUNT FOR IRELAND OF
GENERAL CATTLE DISEASES FUND-
Animals Act, 1894 (57 & 58 Vict., c. 57) for General Expenses,
Execution of the Diseases of Animals Act, 1894 (57 & 38 Vict.,
c. 57) as respects Swine Fever Parliamentary Grant in Aid of the Account: in respect of Ex
penses in connection with the Suppression of Rabies Salvage
CATTLE PLEURO-PNEUMONIA ACCOUNT FOR IRELAND OF THE
Disinfection, Branding, &c.)
and Disinfection, and Casual. Lalour in killing, Burying,
Total General Expenses
Salaries and Fees -
Total Rabies Expenses
General Cattle Diseases Fund (Ireland)
13,705 8 5
497 8 9
31,636 1 10
31,636 1 10
Upper Merrion Street, Dublin,
15 November 1906.
T. P. Gill,
Clerk in Charge of Accounts.
John A. Kempe, H. J. Biduell.
Comptroller and Auditor General.
CLASS II. continued.
VOTE 34.—DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURE AND TECHNICAL INSTRUCTION (IRELAND)—continued.
STATEMENT of Expenditure, &c., out of Grants in Aid for the Purchase of Specimens, Books, &c.,
M M 2
CLASS II.- continued.
DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURE AND TECHNICAL INSTRUCTION
REPORT OF THE COMPTROLLER AND AUDITOR GENERAL.
1. Expenditure in excess of the Estimate has taken place under Sub-Heads D., G7., H4, H5., and 13.
2. The administration of the Geological Survey in Ireland was transferred on 1st April 1905, from the Board of Education to the Department of Agriculture and Technical Instruction, under Section 4 of the Act 62-3 Vict., c. 50, and provision was made for the cost of the service under Sub-Heads I1., 12., and 13. of the Estimate.
GRANTS IN Aid.
Grants in Aid.
3. The Expenditure in respect of the Grants in Aid under Sub-Heads E, F., G2., G3., and G5., is shown in the Accounts appended to the Appropriation Account. They have been audited in my Department, and are further referred to in paragraphs 7 to 9 of this Report.
H. The Grant in Aid of 25,0001., under Sub-Head K., was paid over to the Account of the Congested Districts Board, and has been expended under the prescribed conditions.
The Account of that Board, as audited in my Department, is appended.
5. The Amount to be Surrendered is, as shown by the Account, 1,6851. 18. d.
6. A Local Test Examination of certain Store records was made by Off cers of my Department with generally satisfactory results.
ACCOUNT A. ENDOWMENT FUND.
7. The sum of 7,0001. was received from the Ireland Development Grant (Class vii., Vote 4), in the circumstances explained in the Estimate for that Service.
VOTE 34.-DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURE AND TECHNICAL INSTRUCTION,
8. In addition to the amounts shown in the Account as Loans written off as I recover- Claim able, a claim was abandoned for a sum of 1721. 198. 10d. part of an amount of 4721 19s. 10d. Abandoned, due from the Ballyrashane Co-operative Dairy Society, in respect of their share of the cost of experiments on the purification of Creamery Sewage.
9. Under Section 16 of the Act 62-63 Vic. c. 50, certain sums are set apart out of the Balances Endowment Fund for specified services. The following statement shows the amounts thus Available
ander Sec. 16. allocated, the expenditure therefrom, for the period 1st April, 1900, to 31st March, 1906, and the balances available on the latter date :
10. With reference to my Reports on the accounts of the Congested Districts Board Rents on for the years 1903-4, and 1904–5, I have to state that the greater portion of the holdings Pillon on the Dillon Estate have now been disposed of, and that the difficulties referred to have practically disappeared.
11. The usual limited test was applied to the Store Accounts of the Board with Store satisfactory results.
John A. Kempe,