« PreviousContinue »
CLASS I. continued.
VOTE 8.-REVENUE BUILDINGS.-continued.
STATEMENT OF EXPENDITURE FOR NEW WORKS.-continued.
Rochester Head Post
341 18 10
VOTE 8.-REVENUE BUILDINGS-continued.
STATEMENT OF EXPENDITURE FOR NEW WORKS-continued.
The business had outgrown the accommodation and alterations and additions were made to the premises in order to afford more space.
Expenditure on works incidental to the erection of a telegraph standard on the roof of the Post Office.
An electric lift has been introduced involving structural alterations.
The main wall on the north side of the office showed signs of settlement; the damage was due in part to the heat from the boilers and steps had to be taken to remove them to a new position involving the re-arrangement of the boiler-house etc. The wall affected had also to be underpinned.
Accommodation was insufficient for the increasing business. Adjoining premises were therefore secured and thrown into the existing office, and new fittings, etc., supplied.
Expenditure on fittings, etc., rendered necessary by the construction of fireproof chambers.
Due to the great increase of work at Christmas.
Due to the rapid growth of business; a portion only of the expenditure falls upon this year. of the building is made in the Estimates for 1906-7.
Provision for the completion
The accommodation was insufficient, and structural alterations were carried out to remedy matters, and a new system of heating installed.
Improvements were urgently called for, the retiring room for the Clerks, and store room being too small, while there was no retiring room for females, and no proper accommodation for mail bags.
In order to afford more space in the Post Office, a site has been acquired on which a building is being erected to which the sorting business will be removed. Provision for continuing the service is made in the Estimates for 1906–7.
Preliminary expenditure in connection with the new Office, provision for which is made in the Estimates for 1906-7.
A fireproof chamber had to be provided for telegraphic purposes, and accommodation for stores thereby displaced had to be found.
Expenditure to 31st March 1906
£744 1 3
VOTE 8.-REVENUE BUILDINGS.-continued.
STATEMENT OF EXPENDITURE FOR NEW WORKS.—continued.
The accommodation was insufficient; alterations have been made with a view to affording more room, the heating apparatus has been remodelled, and additional furniture and fittings supplied.
Cost of fencing around site.
To provide additional accommodation at the Head Post Office at Weybrige, the Sorting Office has been removed therefrom to premises hired for the purpose, and expenditure has been incurred on fitting up, &c.
In order to afford protection from the weather for the parcel trucks and cycles, a glass-roofed shed has been provided.
The lease of the former Offices having expired and the renewal being impossible owing to the fact that the building was about to be demolished, other premises were hired and expenditure incurred on fittings, heating apparatus, &c.
The accommodation afforded by the premises formerly occupied was insufficient, and the sanitary arrangements were defective; other premises have therefore been hired and expenditure incurred on the supply of new fittings, &c. ; the improved sanitary accommodation in the new premises is expected to render it possible to substitute female labour for part of the present staff, at a substantial decrease of cost.
Better facilities were required for the loading and despatch of handcarts for Parcel Work.
The accommodation was inadequate and the sanitary arrangements unsatisfactory; structural alterations have been carried
Preliminary expenditure in connection with a proposed new office.
The Office has been removed to more commodious premises and expenditure incurred on alterations &c., necessary to adapt the building for official use.
REPORT OF THE COMPTROLLER AND AUDITOR GENERAL.
1. EXPENDITURE in excess of the Estimate has taken place under Sub-Heads A, B, D, F, H, L, M, and Q.
2. A Statement of Expenditure included under Sub-Heads A, F, K and O is appended to the Account. The expenditure upon works for which there was no provision in the A, F, K, & O. Estimate, and upon works in excess of the sums provided, has been sanctioned by the Treasury in all necessary cases.
3. Under Sub-Head A, "Customs Buildings," no expenditure is recorded in respect New Works: of A 10 Glasgow, "Installation of Electric Light," for which £300 was provided, while expenditure has been incurred for the following services for which no provision was made:
London, "Installation of Electric Radiators" (834l.); Barry Dock, "Erection of New Customs House" (8901.); Portsmouth, "Watch House" (4221.) and Sunderland, "New Customs House" (4631.).
4. Under Sub-Head F, "Inland Revenue Buildings," there is a saving of 6417. under F 3, Cardiff, "Erection of New Offices," while expenditure in excess of the Grant for the year has occurred under F 4, Leicester, " Cost of Site and erection of New Offices," New Works. and in the case of Somerset House, " Additional Heating Apparatus," and Cambridge, "Purchase of Leasehold Interest," for which no provision was made in the Estimate, the sums of 5281. and 750l. respectively have been expended.
Post Office &
5. Under Sub-Heads K and O, "Post Office and Telegraph Buildings," the account shows net savings of 51,739. 118. 10d. and 36,8917. 98. respectively, making a total saving under these two Sub-Heads of 88,631 08. 10d., representing 22% of the grant. The gross amount of under-expenditure on these buildings shown at the end of the "New Works, &c.," statement on page 100 is 111,3177. 128. 4d. and the gross amount of excesses 22,686l. 118. 6d.
6. The following are some of the most noticeable instances of variation between the Works: Sav- sums granted for the year for "Works in Progress" and the actual expenditure:ings and Excesses.
Under-expended. 8. d.
(2) Northern District-New Office
(9) Southwark-New Parcels Office
(13) Winchmore Hill-Sorting Office
(15) Barnet-New Post Office
(27) Farnborough-Deep Cut Camp
(28) Hanley-New Post Office
(29) Hull-New Post Office
(33) Leek-New Post Office
(42) Merthyr Tydvil-New Post Office
(48) Rotherham-New Post Office
(51) Weymouth-New Post Office
(58) Crieff-New Post Office
(59) Glasgow-New Parcels Office